Sunday, June 25, 2006

So much for camping









We had plans to go camping this weekend in Sturbridge Mass. We do tent camping though, and pouring rain was forecasted, so I changed our reservation to another weekend. I'm so glad the campground manager let me do it; normally at such short notice (only one day) they would not give a refund. It cost us a $15 fee to cancel the old reservation, but that is better than the full cost!

B had taken the day off on Friday, so we decided we should head out and do something. So we finally checked out the miniature golf we always pass along the highway on 84. It's not as good as the website makes it look. We did have fun though. I shot an amazingly excellent game; I think I scored"2" on more than half the holes. R really couldn't deal with this and ended up crying as we left. I remember being that sensitive when I was a kid; it's a really hard way to be.

We were dripping wet by the time we left. The humidity was just awful, and we were all splotchy and sweaty. So on the way home we stopped at Stop and Shop and got the makings for sundaes. Ice-cream and all the toppings. We even took a few gummy bears from the pay-by-weight candy area. Back home we were enjoying our sundaes in supremo air conditioning while watching the original Garfield movie, when the rain started. It hasn't stopped since.

Yesterday we did not go out at all. B enjoyed that quite well, saying that it had been too long since he'd been able to. I spent a good portion of the day setting up my new computer! Yes, it finally arrived; my brand new Delll Dimension E510! It is lightning fast - woo hoo! The boys all enjoyed watching some extreme sports (skateboard, bmx, etc.) on TV while I played all afternoon.

Today the rain was getting us down. The Cheshire pool had a "Family Fun Day" planned, where admission was free. But it was rained out. Finally we ended up heading to the mall just to be somewhere else. I was glad to get my new Live CD, which I had been waiting for the release of. B and I saw them in concert a couple of months ago and it was amazing. It had been so long since I had enjoyed that kind of communal energy at a concert. It kept me floating for quite a while.

Anyway I also bought a used copy of Anchorman. I was pretty happy to find it used. It was one of the funniest (read: silliest) movies I've ever seen. It's what my family used to call a "Friday Night Movie". If you need a good laugh, definitely check it out.

The boys got new baseball caps. I have been pretty sick of looking at R's pathetic Boston Redsox hat and told him I'd buy him a new one if he could find one he likes. Santa had brought him one for Christmas, but the front was stiff and wouldn't wear well backwards. Well, we found one in Lids, a baseball hat store, of all places, which is surprising since the inventory was much less than I thought it would be for a store which sells nothing but baseball hats. Plus R has a lot of specifications which had to be met. Must be red. Must have some sort of Red Sox logo on the back, since he wears it backwards. And must have a soft front. Santa had a heck of a time finding one that met the two specifications which were required at that time, so the fact that this store had one with all three specifications was nothing short of miraculous. Of course the darn thing did cost $25. Twenty-five dollars for a baseball hat! At least he doesn't look homeless any more. It was worth it since he will live in the darn thing.

E also bought one for himself. His is camouflaged. He's wanted a camouflage hat ever since he got to wear my sister's boyfriend's for a short while. E still has birthday money which I walk around with though, and luckily it was buy one get one 50% off.

The boys also enjoyed giant pixie sticks from the mall candy store. Yes, I relax about the junk food once in a while. Later at home they cut the empty containers open on the other end and used them as giant straws at dinner.

More time on my computer tonight, copying over files from my old one. R considers the old one his now, "my computer" being one of his favorite new expressions. I think he envisions having more time to play computer games now. I did put a cool Cars desktop photo on it for him. (We saw that movie last week on Father's Day.)

I've got lots of e-mail to catch up on. Blogger won't let me do a spell check, so forgive any mistakes...

No comments: