Saturday, October 14, 2006

A busy October

I've decided not to put out my Halloween decorations this year. Things are just too busy and it is one less thing to do. I'm missing the festive feeling in the house, but am secretly relishing the absence of that extra work. October is flying by in a whirlwind. October is my favorite month, so I'm not overly thrilled about how quickly it is going this year, but on the other hand we are experiencing lots of fun things. I'm missing having time to even record them here. Blogging is my way of pointing out to myself how much learning actually goes on here.

Today B's parents visited. I was so glad to have an excuse to drop everything and clean! The boys even washed many of our dirty walls, after having it pointed out that they were in fact caused by them. They were very helpful the last couple of days, and not complaining about my lack of attention. And I got a clean house for a day at least.

Our visit with Grandma and Grandpa was very enjoyable. We did some apple picking at Lyman Orchards and dinner at Young Young's, an all-you-can-eat Chinese food buffet, which everyone who ever seems to visit us absolutely loves. It's a nice treat for me too, since I don't have to add preparing dinner to the list of things to do when people visit. Anyway, it was a very relaxed afternoon.

What else have we been up to?

Lots and lots of soccer. R is on the all-star team this year, so he has practice Tuesday and Wednesday evenings, and two games (sometimes three) per weekend. Add this to E's soccer games on Sunday afternoons.

R is also enjoying his Lego Robotics class at ImagineNation on Friday evenings. The first of two sessions just ended. He and his partner finished creating their robot and learned how to program it on a computer. R was waaay into this. I'll be looking into getting a set for his birthday.

Craft and Swim is going well on Thursdays. It is an hour and a half for me to be alone without hiding.

Monday evenings is R's drawing class. School holidays the past two weeks have pre-empted that though. That actually worked out fine, since this past Monday, Columbus Day, we went to the Renaissance Fair, and didn't have to worry about being home for anything. We were supposed to have gone over the weekend but B wasn't into it, so we saved it for Monday when he was at work. Boy did we have a blast.

E dressed up in his knight costume, and was glad he did, although his cool headdress didn't make it through the 80 degree heat.. His favorite thing was the jousting. R's favorite thing was the human chess game, and mine was the sword swallower, who also removed himself from a straight-jacket and a bunch of huge chains. We also really enjoyed the puppet show; I'm so grateful my children are still young enough to enjoy that stuff too. We had a fabulous day, and returned home with two large wooden swords, which are already showing lots of battle wear. We've decided to go more than once next year, and are thinking about getting season passes.

We are having fun getting to know the Greater New Haven Homeschooolers Group. They already have some classes planned for the Eli Whitney. Unfortunately the 5-8 age group is on a different day than the 9-12 age group, so we'll be passing until next time around, when we will probably be the organizers. We also had a really enjoyable day with them at Lyman Orchards last week, when we got to experience the corn maze, which by the way, is only worth it when you are paying the group rate. It was fun though. The boys are really happy to making new friends. Here are some of them feeding the ducks and geese.
The Tuesday before last we also had fun at our first Science Club meeting, which is a co-op we are participating in with two other families with children E's age. It will be a challenge to keep R interested, but I'm looking forward to trying. The next meeting is at our house this week, so I'll be planning the lesson. We will be meeting on bi-weekly Tuesdays.

The other Tuesdays of each month we'll go to Flippin' Families at the YMCA. They open the doors to their gymnastics center from 12:30 to 2:00 on Tuesday afternoons for kids to play. Full members like us get in free! This was the first week and we were the only ones there. The friends we invited are not members anymore. But I spoke to two of the moms of kids in the Craft and Swim class and hopefully they will come next time. We'll try to talk other friends into joining us too, since non-members only pay $7 for their entire family for the 1.5 hours.

E has been liking his karate class, but I think I'm pulling him out. They are just not teaching any of the non-violent philosophy that I had expected. He didn't seem too upset that he might not be going any more since he "knows enough moves now to fight R". In fact, the two of them were karate fighting yesterday out in the backyard. Now I've learned to be somewhat okay with weapons, since the swords only clash against eachother, but I don't see the value in kicking someone's face in. So I'm leaning toward dropping that.

This week? Tomorrow (Sunday) two soccer games for two children, from 1:30 pm till 5:00 pm. Then in the evening the new CHN website gets uploaded, and I finish up the monthly newsletter to send out. Monday is a birthday party in the afternoon and R's drawing class at night. Then I will be filling an order for 10 fundraising t-shirts which was placed to LuminociTees.com (woo hoo!) Tuesday is Science Club here at our house, and then up to Oakville to Green Planet to pick up our raw milk, then soccer practice from 5:30 to 7. Karate would also be here from 5:45 to 6:45. Wednesday we are going to the Bronx Zoo. Our membership is expiring this month and I want to use up all my free parking passes. R will have to miss soccer practice that day. Thursday is a dentist appointment then Craft and Swim, and Friday is Lego Robotics. Saturday we have one of R's soccer games, a Halloween party, then another soccer game.

I love October...I love October...I love October...I can't wait till it's done!

No comments: