Friday, December 28, 2007

Holiday Highlights

Well, the holidays in this house really do begin with my birthday on December 19th. This year it was on a Wednesday and was the day my cold settled in. After a visit to Ikea for Nagy Papa's Christmas present, we came home and ordered grinders since I didn't have the energy for the restaurant we had planned on. I did manage to find some energy to play with my new ipod though.

Thursday was a morning of rest, for me at least, and the afternoon found me accompanying E to a birthday party for a boy on his basketball team. I don't remember if I blogged about it already, but he ended up on a basketball team with a boy who he had spent a lot of time playing with on the playground during R's soccer practices last season. The boy likes E as much as E likes him, and invited him to his birthday party when the ended up on the same team for basketball. E had a fun time at the party. He was a little intimidated at first, since all the other kids go to school together, but settled in just fine, although he did remain quite reserved, even rolling his eyes at a boy who was being as silly as he usually is. It was pretty funny.

That night I ended up having to miss the holiday party for my womyn's circle. I was very bummed, but needed the rest.

The next day we spent finishing up a few Christmas presents (the boys make their own), and watching more TV than we should have. The Waltons have brought me great comfort during this illness. Friday night B and I missed another holiday party; one given by friends "for adults only and involving copious amounts of alcohol". Argh.

Mom and Deb arrived on Saturday morning. Debbie was like a whirlwind of baking all day; I had the ingredients for six cookie recipes which I never had the energy to get to, and she gladly took over.
Dinner that night was at Hometown Buffet. We thought they might enjoy it since the place definitely has "something for everyone". We all had an enjoyable dinner and were glad we went early before the rush.

The rest of the weekend is kind of a blur for me. The boys had a fabulous time though being with Grandma and Aunt Debbie. Grandma brought these to decorate:
and E was kind enough to do mine. They also made more cookies with Aunt Debbie, even going to the store to buy more ingredients for ones I hadn't planned on. R was very proud of the Peppermint Bark he made totally by himself. They also did some shopping with Grandma along the way. They played games together; Rummikub before Christmas and Waterworks afterwards (Santa brought it). Grandma also read E The Winter Solstice book I had bought to read on the Winter Solstice. And Grandma spent some time making minor adjustments on the fabulous pajamas she had made us for Christmas:
Christmas morning was really wonderful, as usual. The boys got way too much from Santa and enjoyed it all. The adults all had a relaxing and enjoyable time too.

Unfortunately though, we were so relaxed that we didn't get out of the door until later than we should have, and arrived at B's brother Eric's in New York about an hour late. He was great about it though, and there was still plenty of food (brunch). Despite the fact that I could barely breathe, I had a really nice time, and was so glad to see Eric make my mom and sister feel so welcome. It's been a long time since my in-laws and mom have spent time together and everyone seemed to enjoy it. Although I had my camera with me, I unfortunately did not take it out. Not many photos this year at all, I'm afraid.

Aunt Debbie was disappointed that White Castles was closed, but we did find a pizza place to get a New York pizza before heading home. Once here, we ate some leftover pot roast and sat around and relaxed. (I had pretty much shoved a pot roast at my mother the night before saying "here, make this".)

The boys got to spend some time with Aunt Debbie, showing her around Webkinz World, and explaining how to get things done with her new pig, which they had gotten her. Both of them are really looking forward to spending time with her online.

It was sad watching Aunt Debbie and Grandma go on Wednesday afternoon. For the boys it had been a wonderful Christmas, and for me it meant that I wouldn't get the opportunity to be the hostess I always enjoy being. Oh well.

Other than picking up Nagy Papa from the train station that night, and taking him to an appointment the next morning (his car needs a water pump) I've pretty much spent the last few days in my pajamas sleeping or watching TV. Although today we did manage a few very local errands.

This will always be "The Christmas that mom was sick". Oh well. You know, so many times when our children get sick, we wish we could be sick instead of them. And I've told myself a hundred times this week "better me than them". I really meant it too. But enough is enough! If I'm not feeling better by Monday I'm going to the doctor. This is crazy.

No comments: