Thursday, February 21, 2008

A fun twist in the Wednesday busyness


I just want to start by saying that every time we say "E, you are so weird" we get a huge smile in response. The boy is a comic and is constantly "on".

E often sticks his head into one end of the pillow cover from one of the pillows which decorate my bed during the day, and lay on the floor overnight. Well this morning, he decided to slip his arms into the bottom half, and he got stuck. R and I were in hysterics for a good five minutes while E jumped all over the place yelling "I can't get out! I can't get out!". I'm giggling now just thinking back on it. Once he let us actually get him out R tried to copy the feat, but he is just too big to fit.

So our day started with belly laughs; it doesn't get much better.

Yesterday we had a special treat added to our usual Wednesday busyness. (Firefox's spell checker tells me that's the way to spell it, but it looks so wrong!) We went down to Brooksvale Park in Hamden to do some candle-making. The husband of a friend of ours (Hi J!) is the Park Ranger there (they actually live on the premises), and they often do outreach to the community. Most of us were homeschoolers though!

We had an excellent time making candles. We had only dipped perfectly formed white candles quickly into color at Yankee Candle before, so making them from scratch was new to us. It's so easy! The boys asked if we could ask our friends if we could come and do it again some time; the Park Ranger is the dad of J, who is a good friend and was a guest at R's party, so the supplies are all available. They hoped that next time we could do it on a smaller scale with just friends. I said I'd ask, but I think we'll wait a while until they recover from this time!

Next we headed off to playgroup, where some friends from candle-making joined us. We were disappointed that only two other families, with preschoolers, showed up. The boys were happy to have older kids to play with, but when they left early we did too.

We did some usual running around errand stuff and kept busy in that end of our world until it was time to pick up our milk at 4:30. We were really bummed that it hadn't been delivered yet, because E's soccer was canceled for this school vacation week, so we needn't have stayed in Hamden all afternoon keeping busy while waiting for our milk. Oh well, we are used to our Wednesday routine, so it wasn't a big deal.

During that keeping busy portion of the day, we window shopped in TJ Maxx. E found himself a Transformer Stratego Game for only $7.99. I told him I'd lend him the money for it, but that meant he wouldn't have money for Dairy Queen later. He agonized until we were next on line, and then decided on the ice-cream!

So we stopped at Dairy Queen on the way home. R had gotten a gift card for his birthday, and E spent his allowance. Yes, giant high-fructose corn syrup drinks right before dinner. Sometimes I give in.

We headed to the library next, where I picked up way more DVD's than I normally bring home. I'm working on my list for the next 10 on Tuesday, and I didn't have the materials to just write the names of them down. Maybe I'll actually watch some of them!

I was really glad to smell that pot roast cooking in the crock pot when we walked into the house at 6:15.

Our day ended with a lunar eclipse. Obviously this photo needs to be clicked on, so you can enlarge it and actually see something. E stayed up until about 8:50 so he saw the thing begin, R stayed up till about 9:30 so he saw it pretty close to total, and B and I saw the total eclipse at about 10:30. It never seems "total" to me though, because there is always a sliver of bright yellow from where I stand. Or maybe the darned thing only lasts 30 seconds and I always seem to miss it? Very cool, nonetheless. Sometimes I wish we had a telescope.

Wednesdays are always really busy, but almost always really fun.

No comments: