Saturday, March 14, 2009

Spring

I'm so happy that in the midst of all the stress I am feeling, that I can still slow down enough to live in the moment of a beautiful spring day.

I started out with an episode of The Waltons, which always mellows me. For lunch we went to Nardelli's in Naugatuck. We had actually seen the place featured on a program on The Travel Channel and have wanted to go ever since. Sometimes it really bothers me that my family loves food so much.

The lunch was good. The boys loved it and can't wait to go again. Perhaps we will stop in on the one in Waterbury which we sometimes actually pass.

R actually talked me into a basketball game of HORSE. I lost by only one letter. It was cool to see him getting nervous. And it was wonderful to have two other families and a bunch of kids running around our cul-de-sac flying kites and riding bikes. One little 6yo girl declared "this is the best day ever!"

I spent some time in my garden cleaning out leaves and pulling out dead stems which haven't provided "winter interest" in some time now. Digging around in the garden in March is good for the soul.

Spring is coming; pay attention. The crocus are blooming and the daffodils and tulips are a good three inches tall. Our Pussy Willow is blooming too. It's time to cut branches off the Forsythia and bring them inside to bloom. Here's a before and after from two years ago at our house. They only take a week to bloom, so be patient.

B is fitting in all the fun he can before he is bedridden for a while. He took the boys to the park in town and here I sit contemplating. I can't seem to muster up the desire to blog much anymore, which is a huge shame since I love looking back and reading them. The older posts really do help me focus on how much we are doing. These days I seem to focus on how much we are not.

R is anxious to learn how to spell. I bought a curriculum which several people have suggested, but have not managed to crack it open and plow through my part. He is also anxious to move forward with math so he's not "an idiot" when he enrolls in high school in two years. Got an online program for that, but have yet to look through it and get it going. Plus we've been really inconsistent with the boys' eye exercises. I haven't been too hard on myself about all this, but do feel like everything is "on hold" right now. Although there are a bazillion things scheduled from now till Easter, I feel like time that's not already scheduled should be simply enjoyed. For my own sanity.

Have to make dinner now...

No comments: