Tuesday, March 17, 2009

St. Patrick's Day

This morning found me up at 7am. That in itself is noteworthy. I got up to put the corned beef into the crockpot. Corned beef. Ew. B loves the stuff, but I think it's gross. This is the first year I made it. He was so happy to see me preparing it that he went to the store and brought me home a green carnation before going to work. I didn't wear it though because I didn't want it to get crushed.

Since I was up anyway I made the boys green eggs and they had that along with the Irish soda bread B had made over the weekend.

Then we got dressed and headed to bowling. I'm thrilled to be bowling again. I joined a league in September. We bowl every Tuesday morning. It's probably 1/2 retirees and the rest are closer to my age. No one younger though.

I bowled with my mom and aunts when I lived in New York way back when. I was pretty good then, and am extremely happy that time and fat haven't seemed to make a difference now. My average is the second highest on the league, at 153, and my team is in first place. Today I bowled a 156, 214 (!) and a 142. This is my second week in a row bowling over 200. Woo hoo!

The boys come to bowling too. For years I've sat on the sidelines or in the car when it's cold, and driven them to all manner of sports and classes. This year I decided they could sit for my sport. They hand out on benches on the other side of the place and read/play with R's DS/play with action figures/do workbooks stuff to earn TV time, and basically keep themselves busy without too much complaint. R is taking a baby sitting class next month, and I told him they could stay home after he's done, but for now they have to go and suffer through my bowling. Although sometimes they do ask my dad to comb by and watch them so they don't have to go.

After bowling we came home and the boys went outside to make themselves a fire. That's something they are so into these days that I've stopped taking pictures. Although I don't think I've posted one here. OK, here's an old one.

While they did that I spent a really good portion of the day looking through tons of books in the basement and filling 9 plastic grocery bags with disposables. I still have a lot to go, but they really did fill up my trunk.

When B got home we had our corned beef (ew). The boys liked it well enough, but next year if I make it again I'll be making something else for myself.

We ended the day by going to the movies. The theater in Wallingford sells all tickets for $5 on Tuesdays and B has been hating that he misses them all the time. So we agreed that we'd go at night so he can join us. We saw Race to Witch Mountain. We knew it would be coming out so a couple of weeks ago we watched the original (borrowed from the library) to enjoy before the super effects ruined the the enjoyment. Good decision, that.



The boys enjoyed both versions, but of course, like the new one better (duh). I liked the old one better (duh). The new one was fun, but lots of explosions and a little more over the top than necessary. I guess it's what kids expect these days. My favorite part was when the two original kids showed up as adult characters on this one. I'm so glad I saw Kim Richards' name at the start of the film, so I knew to look for her. The boys liked that too. And B was so glad he got to join us. It did mean getting into bed close to 10 though.

No comments: