Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Going to the movies

A while ago I was one of the lucky people to get a 30% scratch-off coupon for Kohls, and B wanted to stock up on pants. Well he is difficult to buy pants for.; he's a 32/34 and they just don't make pants for skinny people anymore. It is so much easier to find 34/32. In fact, it's easier to find 42/32. The buyers at Kohls feel that CT is full of short fat people. Who knows, perhaps they are right. However, it's quite frustrating for those of us who shop for tall skinny people. Anyway, B chose several pairs that he liked, and we bought them in the wrong size, with the aim of me exchanging them at another store in the future. And the future was today.

Right next to the Kohls I selected is a movie theater. So I combined chores with some fun today. First we had McDonald's. I even let the boys get Happy Meals, which I rarely do, because the toy was from the movie.

After lunch we saw Disney's The Wild. It was really enjoyable. A few laugh out loud moments. Fart humor is always fun. The boys had a great time, and can't wait for the DVD to come out so they can buy it and watch it a million more times the way they did with Chicken Little.

The movie I must say, was beautiful. The technology they are using these days is amazing. I don't know how they do it, but the hair looks so touchable. The most gorgeous part though, was the opening scene, which was traditional drawn animation (as opposed to the computerized stuff that made up the rest of the movie.) Gosh, I was so excited to have the movie open that way, and disappointed to have it switch over when it did. The shadows and colors were amazing. Too bad the art of traditional animation is going by the wayside. It was just total eye candy.

I've looked at animation completely differently since having taken The History of Animation in college. I especially love the backgrounds. Next time you watch Aristocats take a look at the backgrounds and you'll know what I mean. Animation might be fun, but it is also, truly, an art.

I'm glad there is more of a selection of G rated movies these days. It's a recent phenomenon. Over the last few years they've been disappearing as producers try to attract a more diverse crowd. I don't' know what changed it (maybe the computer stuff?), but I'm glad it did. My only wish is that they could see that movies don't need words like "idiot" or "stupid" to do well.

For those of you considering going to see it, the first scene is very scary for kids who are sensitive. I'm so glad R is through that phase. E has never been afraid of much movie-wise. His mantra is "the good guys always win in the end." I'll have to make sure to keep it so until he is old enough to deal with the reality.

There were lots of commercials beforehand. Lots. Too many. Soda and credit cards and cars. Quite annoying. We enjoyed the coming attractions though. It was a good way to see what the boys will enjoy in the future; laughing or no laughing. The new Garfield movie looks like it's going to be hysterical. Hopefully it will be rated PG and the Screen It folks give me a thumbs up. Totally love that reference site; one of the best on the internet.

After the movie we headed to Kohl's where I discovered that the Plainville store is a complete mess! It was quite annoying to look through it all. Of course they didn't have B's size in anything, so I'll try one more store before returning it all.

B and I have been enjoying The Sopranos. I borrowed it from the library. We weren't impressed after the first episode, but my sister told me we'd be hooked after the third, and to keep going. Well, we have just finished season two. My sister was right; we are totally enjoying it.

I have season three of Queer as Folk coming in the mail; I won it on ebay. I can't wait! That's another show I'm totally addicted to. I'm also loving the music and have downloaded quite a bit of it.

I got tickets to see Madonna on June 26th. I totally can't wait for that. I love Madonna for the same reason my dad loves John Lennon; we grew up together. Madonna is two years older than me, and many of the phases of her life parallel my own. What she sings about with each new CD is almost always relevant to what's going on in my life. One of my favorites right now is I Love New York. Sometimes I do miss my life there.

I was actually dancing to Madonna songs in Studio 54 when she was giving her demo tapes to DJ's back in the 80's (she got her first record deal that way.) I do often miss those days...it's probably why I love Queer as Folk so much.

No comments: