Friday, June 15, 2007

Another Busy Week

I wasn't good about taking photos this week, even though we did a lot of fun things.

Monday we had two families of friends over to enjoy our blow-up pool which we set up over the weekend. It turned out to be the perfect day for it, but the boys both got badly burned. I feel so horrible! They never got burned before, they had always tanned, so this year I used SPF #8 thinking it would let just enough sun in. WRONG. I guess the reason they never burned is because they tanned right through the #15. So we'll be getting more of that.

Tuesday we went to see Hello Dolly on the big screen. The movie theater in the next town over has a "silver screen" event once a month during the summer. A classic movie, popcorn and soda for a buck a person. It was too hard to resist seeing such a fun movie on a big screen. We have been enjoying musicals around here lately, so it was perfect for us. The boys both really enjoyed it, and it led to some interesting conversations about the women's movement and how far we have come.

Happily some friends joined us at the movies and we all went to the park afterwards. The daffodil park. I always love spending time with this family, and the boys enjoy it too. We are looking forward to doing some camping with them this year.

That evening I headed to Marlborough to pick up a freelance job. Luckily the deadline is not as demanding as the one last week and I'll be able to work it around family time. It's due on Monday, and of course B is thrilled to have me working, so he'll provide me with all the guilt free quiet time I need.

Wednesday our playgroup headed down to New Haven to the International Festival of Arts and Ideas. I've known about it for several years, but this is the first time we've ever gone. We saw a performance by Adam Battelstein. "Internationally known, formerly with Momix and Pilobolus, Adam has been declared a 'comic genius' and a “master clown disguised as a dancer.” I wouldn't call him a clown at all. His show was very fun but also great lessons in physics. Real life examples of gravity and friction, the weight of air, and even a giant gyroscope. Really terrific stuff.

R answered questions correctly several times when the the artist threw them out to the audience, and in the end he was invited up on stage to ride on this incredible thing, the name of which totally escapes me now - argh. Just look at that joyful face! (Click on the photo to see it up close.) These things cost thousands of dollars - it was definitely a once in a lifetime experience. So cool that R has just recently started volunteering for things like this and the first time he gets called it's for something so incredible!

The performer's co-star was someone I actually knew, so I said hello afterwards, while the kids ran off to play with their friends. Playgroup didn't last all that long since everyone were slaves to their meters. We didn't have to rush so we took the trolley ride back to our parking garage.

Thursday was a stay at home day. I had great plans to have my car inspected for emissions, getting an oil change, and going to a pool store to find out the real deal on chemicals for the pool, but I just couldn't get myself out the door. I need to be home sometimes - I'm a homebody at heart.

R took the opportunity to ride his bike up to Nagy Papa's house where they played a few games of chess, and then the two of them went food shopping together. E and I kept busy watching an episode of season one of The Waltons, which a friend had reminded me I wanted to get back to, and started working on Father's Day presents for B.

Nagy Papa came by after grocery shopping, and we all picked some strawberries. I am so thrilled that we have gotten about 20 pounds (so far!) of strawberries out of our patch this year. We had a very relaxing and enjoyable afternoon at home. I need to arrange my life to have more of these.

I spent the evening doing about a third of my freelance job.

Today we went to a birthday party. The boys had a great time and I got to connect with people I don't see much of anymore. It was a very enjoyable afternoon. Tonight B and I are set up to watch Ghost Rider.

Tomorrow we head off to a weekend of soccer...

No comments: