Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Independence Day in Maine

We had a wonderful time this weekend in Maine. Normally we don't go on 4th of July weekend, but we decided Grandma could use some hugs, and we headed up.

We had fun swimming in the river behind Grandma's house. B and the boys swam quite often, but I went just once; it was cold!

We enjoyed some miniature golf with Grandma. Her neighborhood course is much nicer than ours; it had obstacles and everything. R did exceptionally well, which saved us from the sensitivity thing this time around.

We also enjoyed a great day up at Granny Kent pond, where my Grandmother has a house. My aunt and her husband were up for the weekend, and we had a chance to spend some time with them without the usual mob around. We also enjoyed swimming there, although the water was incredibly mucky from all the boats whipping up everything off the bottom.

Another day Grandma joined us for some candlestick bowling. We also played lots of arcade games while at the bowling alley. I played some Skee Ball and Mrs. Pac Man and the boys played some car racing games and pool, while Grandma cheered us all on.
On Monday evening (the 3rd) Grandma worked at The Lion's Club booth selling hamburgers, while we all enjoyed a ski show on Number 1 pond. Aunt Debbie had arrived in Maine and was able to join us too. We enjoyed ice-cream along the way, and the people next to us were nice enough to share some sparklers with E.
The fireworks began at nine and went until 9:20. It wasn't too bad getting out of the area either; we had chosen our parking spot with escape in mind.

My favorite part of the weekend though, had to be getting to see Grandma and all the Red Hat Ladies in the parade the next morning. They had spent two hours the afternoon before working on a truck which a lumber yard had provided for them. They all looked fabulous. Grandma is the one all the way on the right.
She had also glued some purple flowers onto red umbrellas for herself and her friend, Pam.
It was loads of fun. Really, very cool. The boys really enjoyed the parade, mostly because they collected lots and lots of candy from people throwing it down from floats. I didn't see much of the rest of the parade though because I was too busy playing with my new nephew. I am glad we ran into my brother so I could.
Baby Mike is five weeks old now, and a real cutie. He must be a handful for his parents though, because he definitely has a preference for being upright with his legs extended. Must be challenging for parents who don't use a sling. I was perfectly willing to hold him upright for the time I had him though, and I had lots of fun making baby talk with him.

After the parade Grandma went to Granny Kent for the giant family get-together, and we headed out to an enjoyable lunch with Aunt Debbie. Following that we headed home.

We haven't been to Grandma's house in Maine for a plain old visit in quite a while. For a long time it had been family parties which sent us up there. And this is the first time in a long time which I didn't want to go home when it was over.

I hope Grandma had as much fun as we did.

No comments: