Monday, May 14, 2007

Mother's Day Weekend


Friday B took off from work to move the dozen yards of top soil he had ordered. We had a huge indentation in the backyard which we could never explain, and B decided it needed to be filled this year. He had a great time with the Bobcat he rented.

He didn't need my help the way he thought he might, so I got to go to the Scholastic Warehouse Sale unaccompanied. Woo hoo!

Saturday was a soccer day; three games in all. The boys were happy to have Nagy Papa join us at all three. One can never have too many fans present.

Mother's Day was wonderful. The boys all woke up and made breakfast for me. We had eggs and bacon and hash browns and nutritionally devoid Pillsbury biscuits. They each gave me a card they had made for me (yes, B makes cards for me too, with lovely little sentiments inside), and a photo of season one of Farscape, which they have on order from Amazon. Then we snuggled up and watched The Princess Bride, which I had borrowed from the library. "I am Inigo Montoya. You killed my father, prepare to die." Hee hee. It was lots of fun; the boys loved it as much as I knew they would, and I really enjoyed seeing it again. It's a classic.

I spent a good portion of the afternoon reading, both to the boys, and alone. Sitting down and reading is usually hard for me because I can never stop thinking about all the things I "should be" doing instead. But I pulled it off a great deal of the day.

We finished up with Olive Garden, which we are pretty much over now. We expected a wait, but we walked in at 5:30 and walked out at 8:20, which felt rather unacceptable, even for Mother's Day. Plus we are starting to feel like it's overpriced. Nevertheless, the food was good, and the company excellent, although I am eternally grateful for B switching seats with E, who was next to me on the bench seat and could not manage to stop bouncing up and down.

When we finally got R and E tucked in, B and I each enjoyed some Coconut Macadamia Creme Pie, which R and E don't like. Last year I finally decided that Mother's Day would be the one day of the year when I would allow myself to ask for a special treat that I knew they wouldn't like.

This week is another busy one for us. We spent some time with friends today, then grocery shopped. Tomorrow I am working in Marlborough again, and then have to take R to soccer practice. It just goes on and on.

But, it's all good.

No comments: