Thursday, May 17, 2007

Rain on Wednesday and Kohl's on Thursday

We got caught in that huge rain storm on the way home from playgroup in Hamden yesterday. All the traffic lights were blinking as we entered Cheshire. I've never had to drive so slow because of rain before; we did 15 miles an hour for quite a stretch.

We got home to find ourselves without electricity. Luckily the Chinese restaurant down the street uses gas stoves, so we were able to get food for dinner there. I owe them a dollar though since their credit card machine was unavailable, and I was short on cash.

Boy my family is way too reliant on gadgetry. R and E used the laptop for 15 minutes until the battery died. I read a couple of books to them, but they will only sit for a couple at a time. R borrowed my rechargeable batteries to listen to an audio book (he's on the Lemony Snicket thing now). When B came home he was so bored he passed out on the recliner. I enjoyed the time reading with one of the headlight flashlight things we have for camping.

I was bummed that it lasted as long as it did. The woman I've been freelancing for in Marlborough sent me home with a Mac CPU so I could start working from home (woo hoo!). I had told her I could give her more hours if I were here, so she set me up! Anyway, I had gotten it all assembled and connected, and had work to do last night from 8pm till 12. I was embarrassed to have to call and let her know that I couldn't get the work done. I had called CL&P and their recording said my electric would be on by 6 am. So I got up at 6 am to do the work this morning. Don't ask me how because I'm still in shock myself.

After finishing the work by nine, we had an asphalt guy come and give us a quote on ripping out our old driveway and putting in a new one. Ouch. Still waiting for our tax refund.

I did not manage to get myself onto the treadmill today, but definitely will tomorrow. I'm not used to sitting for such long stretches and my legs are getting crampy.

After lunch we headed to Kohl's. I have a credit card of theirs so every once in a while I get a coupon in the mail for a certain amount off everything. This time around my coupon was actually for 30% off, so we went shopping.

R got a couple of bathing suits and some flip-flops. I got some sandals, two leather bags, and two sun hats, E got some shorts and I chose out some shoes for B. Thirty percent off on top of their sale prices was a lot. E's shorts were only $4 and my leather handbags were only $20 each. Even my leather sandals were only $14. We really struck gold with that coupon. B wants to use it again to look for some shirts for himself.

The day ended, of course, with soccer practice. I managed to get dinner done before we had to go, so rather than drop R off and come home to cook, I hung out at the field and read my book. I'm reading Nextby Michael Crichton, and it's got me hooked. E spent the whole hour and a half playing in the playground with some kids there. He is getting to be a social kid at last.

We had a birthday party scheduled for tomorrow, which has been postponed due to the weather yesterday, so we find ourselves free for the day. I'm voting for staying home and getting some things done; maybe some laundry, gardening and cleaning the basement. But I'm not the only one with a vote, so we'll see how it goes.

No comments: