Sunday, July 29, 2007

Camping

It took two hours and 50 minutes to get to our Vermont campground. What a gorgeous drive.

We had an enjoyable weekend, despite the rain, which at times on Saturday, was heavy. It stopped both nights (Friday and Saturday) in times for s'mores though.

The boys had a fabulous time swimming in the river. Yes, I swam too, on Friday night after setting up camp, and Sunday afternoon after breaking down camp. The water in the river was beautiful, but all those rocks really hurt my butt. And today (Monday) my ankles are killing me too. Okay, thanks to D, here's a photo of me trying to get comfortable out there on a rock, to let the water flow over my back the way I was instructed:

Yeah, I nearly killed myself doing it, but my kids will always have the memory of me giggling my way up the river. Even if it meant a few bruises along the way.

I'm pretty proud of the progress I'm making with my scarf. Even if there are gaping holes all over the place. L was good about fixing up some of my mistakes, and it was also cool to watch her knit for a few moments, and compare her technique with her mom's. She was also very good in telling me that some people do lots of mistakes like mine on purpose for a certain "look". I wish I could remember the term she used, it was really cute.

I don't know that I'll ever get those tiny finger movements down, that both D and L do, but I'm perfectly happy with "good enough". Will I get the bug? I honestly don't know. For now, I'll finish up my scarf and see if I miss doing it when it's done.

Our friends camp at this place pretty regularly, and L has become friendly with one of the women who work there. So she ended up marching in a local parade representing the state park. The parade was about ten minutes long, and was about as hokey as they come. What a hoot. I especially enjoyed the Cairo Hillbillies Clan, and bagpipe group consisting of one man. The boys especially liked the ridiculous amounts of candy they got (kind of bummed here that candy is what parades have become all about for them; I don't remember candy at parades when I was a kid).

Overall we had a fun weekend. My only regret is that our campsites, although next to each other, were further apart from our friends' than I had hoped. Which meant that once the boys were in bed, we couldn't go next door for some grown-up visiting.

Lots more photos can be seen here. Or by clicking on the link at the right.

Around the dinner table that night: "What was your favorite thing about this weekend?".
Me: Making s'mores around the campfire with our friends.
B: Fishing.
R: Swimming in the river.
E: Everything.

1 comment:

livnletlrn said...

Those holes? They're a design element! ;-)

Those people you'd like to visit with after the kids go to bed? They're sleeping too. :-)

So they can get up reaalllly early to knit and take pictures of yarn for their own blog.