Sunday, July 01, 2007

A Homeschool Protest

On Thursday, June 28th, I left the decision to R. He could have Nagy Papa pick him up from golf camp, then spend a few hours with him, or he could skip golf camp and join E and I at Connecticut's Capitol to protest abuses toward homeschoolers. "Let's see. One day of camp, vs years of homeschooling." My kid rocks.

We carpooled with some friends and had a great day learning all about fighting for our rights. It was very very cool to see how many people I knew there, and I am definitely proud of the fact that I am in with the people who show up.

I'm not going to get too deeply into the issue. Here are links to fill you in if you care to read further. They are all in order so you can get the full story.

Homeschoolers Under Attack
Announcing a press conference regarding abuses toward homeschoolers by DCF
Press conference results
A meeting with the governor and probable new head of DCF
A call for a homeschooling protest
First impressions on the protest
The protest (Look for a picture of the boys and I on the third photo down. Click on that photo to make it larger.)
Making progress

Judy Aron is Research Director for National Home Education Legal Defense (NHELD) so she always knows the scoop on the legal front in CT. I read her blog every day.

2 comments:

Consent of the Governed said...

Gee Thank - Love your blog too and will be posting your link on my site soon.

Thanks for coming to the Capitol and posting links to the information on my site... I know for many there could be much "funner" things to do with their time then coming to protest but we did make our voices heard.. Debi Stevenson will be featured in CT Law Review and we have an interview with WNPR this week and another with channel 55 news in Long Island next week. The media is picking this up little by little. CT Lawyers have been contacting Debi to share their DCF case stories as well.

Thanks for all of your support on the issue and many other issues.

ChristineMM said...

I am glad I saw you at the protest. It was nice talking with you!

I blogged a little about my impressions of the protest here.

http://thethinkingmother.blogspot.com/2007/06/i-was-activist-today.html

I plan to upload some photos one of these days.