Thursday, July 26, 2007

The end of piano

I took my first trip to a yarn store today. We are camping this weekend and a friend is going to teach me to knit. I've known many women who have knit, for quite a while, but I've honestly never had the interest to learn. Things change, I guess.

So this is what I picked out for my very first scarf. (I know, I know, there's a picture of YARN on my blog - what is she doing to me?) It matches my gloves really well, is wool, so won't (hopefully) create static, which is a big problem for me with my hair in the winter, and is varying thicknesses, so it will camouflage mistakes (at least that's what the woman in the store said).

I actually have a beautiful scarf and matching hat that an old friend made for my 40th birthday.They are gorgeous and match my gloves, but unfortunately I get so many static shocks when I wear either, that it's absolutely painful. It has always saddened me. (Kind of a weird metaphor for what happened to our friendship.)

Anyhow, after the yarn store we headed to BJ's to exchange R's copy of the new Harry Potter audio book, which, horror of horrors, actually had a scratch on it! Boy, to say he was upset about it is an understatement.

Finally, we finished the day off with E's last piano class at the Neighborhood Music School in New Haven. The class was called "Meet the Piano", and was a six week introduction, in a fun setting, with other students present, to the piano. I signed him up for the class thinking it would be a good way to find out if private lessons would be welcomed. It worked out really well, since the parents were allowed to stay in the room with the kids, and as you can see, the class was very small (although one girl did still manage to be somewhat disruptive).

Here is E during his last class, clapping out the rhythm of the notes, which a classmate is pointing to. In addition to a few simple songs, they also began learning to read music. Very cool!


Here is E playing "Mary Had a Little Lamb" with his teacher, who is doing some nice chords for background. He really liked his teacher. It didn't hurt that she brought brownies and apple juice for a small "reception" after their "recital". Unfortunately, B couldn't get off work early to attend, because he is off from work tomorrow so we can head out to our camping weekend nice and early.

E really loved the class, which I am just thrilled about. He has announced that he is going to ask Santa for a piano (as you can see we have a small keyboard). I guess one way to tell that a kid loves what he is doing is that he wants to share that love with others. Here is my boy teaching his own student how it's done:B was a willing and patient student.

I will be asking a friend who is very happy with her own children's private piano teacher, for the name of that person, very soon.

No comments: