Friday, March 03, 2006

An Atypical Fun Friday






Typically on Fun Fridays we head out to a museum, letterboxing, or other fun activity, or sometimes just hang out at home reading books and playing games. What makes Fun Friday different from other days is that the boys have my undivided attention for the entire day. I don't do laundry, don't clean the house, and don't even check my email. I just be with them all day.

This Friday I was laying in bed thinking about our options for the day when the phone rang. A friend's wife is a birth doula, had been called away to a birth the night before, and he needed to head off to work himself. This is family of friends who have been there for us many times, and I didn't hesitate in saying that he should bring his kids right over.

His children, B and S, are the same ages as R and E, and they spent a wonderful morning playing together. When Mom showed up to pick them up I suggested she let the boys keep playing and go home to get some sleep. Nine-year-olds R and B spent the entire day outside in the glorious snow, and five-year-olds E and S stayed inside playing cars, later working on E's Lego castle so they could attack it with pirates and dinosaurs and who knows what else.









So I found myself confronted with a large block of time "alone" on a Fun Friday. I could clean the stove, do some laundry, answer tons of email, balance my checkbook... But instead I decided to be true to the spirit of the day, and spent the afternoon scrapbooking. Woo hoo! Above is the Halloween page I completed. It's been a challenge to fit so many pictures on a page, and this page especially came out way to busy. However, the page will remind me not only of Halloween 2005, but of an afternoon where I found myself with time doing something I love.

It was a super day!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey C,

Thank you again for watching the boys! It is wonderful that my boys got to experience a "Fun Friday" with your family! They really enjoyed it and they also enjoyed having a well rested mother later on!

;-)
M