Monday, March 13, 2006

When a family member is sick




R was still sick today. Not throwing up but not ready to get up and play. I was feeling guilty about not paying enough attention to him yesterday so I was determined to spend the entire day today hanging out and snuggling with him. He had no interest in snuggling, but I did watch TV with him. He enjoyed my recliner and I took the couch. We watch a lot of TV today. Mostly stuff I had recorded from the History Channel and Discovery. We watched a show about a giant tunnel being built in Kuala Lumpur. R has a big thing for tunnels so he enjoyed this very much. We also watched a show about hurricanes. We watched The Man in the Iron Mask, but it was still really over his head. We saw a show about the first five presidents of the US. Everything else I've ever recorded during The History Channel in the Classroom has been great, but this got dry. We also watched Mythbusters wherein these two guys determined if Benjamin Franklin (another favorite of R's) could have actually lived through having his kite attached to a key and getting struck by lightning. (No.) Even more interesting were the experiments they did to determine if someone could die from their fart gas during the course of a night (no again.) It was very amusing. Finally we watched The Travel Channel's "Sand Blasters: Extreme Sand-Sculpting Championship" which was totally fun.

E meanwhile, caught a "calapitter" outside. He brought it in and placed it into a brown cardboard box while he rummaged for provisions. He gathered his official bug holder and filled it with sticks and leaves. But unfortunately that calapitter got away while he was doing all this. He was quite distraught about it. How could such a tiny thing climb out of that box and get out of site in such a short time? Our hotel turned into a trap which he placed in a strategic position and promptly forgot about. He spent lots of time outside today; the schoolkids next door got a new dog so they got to stay home from school to keep it company.

At some point R said "I can't believe I'm saying this, but I'm sick of TV." I have to admit I am too. I offered to play a game with him or read to him, but as much as he was tired of TV he was willing to watch everything I slipped into the VCR.

I was happy to have the opportunity to go out for drinks with some other mamas this evening. I haven't had a lot of grown-up time lately and I really needed it. Let's hope that R is better tomorrow and E doesn't get whatever it was!

No comments: